What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is a non-invasive treatment administered by delivering 100% oxygen at pressures greater than two to three time the normal atmospheric (sea level) pressure to a client in a chamber. Hyperbaric oxygen acts as a drug, eliciting varying levels of response at different dosages. HBOT promotes healing by increasing the oxygen concentration in the body at the cellular level. HBOT is FDA approved and has been proven effective as an adjunctive therapy for specific indications. It is used around the world. HBOT has clearly been demonstrated to drastically enhance the body’s ability to heal.
HOW DOES IT WORK WITH THE BODY?
There are many benefits associated with intermittent exposure to doses of hyperbaric oxygen:
- Angiogenesis-HBOT allows oxygen to reach low oxygen (hypoperfused) tissue and stimulates growth of blood vessels to improve blood flow and oxygen supply to compromised tissue and bone so that it is better able to repair itself.
- Infection Fighting- high levels of oxygen enhance the function of the cells that fight infection in our bodies and also helps eliminate infections caused by bacteria which cannot live in an oxygenated environment, such as gangrene.
- Vasoconstriction- HBOT produces constriction of blood vessels which can reduce edema while, at the same time, delivering significant levels of oxygen to poorly perfused tissue.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING TREATMENT?
Your therapy will be provided in a chamber.
In the chamber you lie down, atmosphere-controlled chamber that circulates pure oxygen at a pressure that is two to three times greater than normal. You are free to move during treatment and may relax by taking a nap.
You will not experience any pain, though you may feel like your ears are plugged from the increased pressure – the same feeling you might get while flying or swimming.
IS HBO THERAPY SAFE?
HBO therapy has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat non-healing wounds and several other medical conditions. There are no serious side effects, and your treatment.
HOW OFTEN ARE HYPERBARIC TREATMENTS GIVEN?
Clients are generally treated once a week, but some may require therapy twice a week. The number of treatments (also referred to as “dives”) prescribed for you, their duration and the exact pressure used will depend on your condition. You will generally require between 10- 20 and treatments..
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
That depends. The number of sessions and length of treatment will vary based on your particular condition, progress and goals.
30 min Session – $125
HBOT IS USED FOR:
Assists in rehabilitation by stimulating production of the body’s stem cells
Boosts immune system function
Decreases swelling and inflammation
Delivers oxygen to tissues up to 25 times normal levels
Heals injuries much faster
Helps the body to clear toxins
Increases the body’s ability to fight infection
Promotes regeneration of injured tissues
Reduces fatigue from chronic hypoxia
Stimulates brain & nerve cells recovery from injury (hypoxic penumbra)
Stimulates collagen production speeding up the wound healing process
Supports growth of new blood vessels
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is not safe for everyone. In general, you shouldn’t receive HBOT if you:
- Have certain types of lung diseases, because of an increased risk for a collapsed lung
- Have a collapsed lung
- Have a cold or a fever
- Have had recent ear surgery or injury
- Do not like small enclosed spaces (claustrophobia)